Total Pageviews

Sunday 18 December 2016

LIFE at Christmas: Part I - 50 Years Ago (1966)

This is the start of a four-part series using LIFE magazine to wander down memory lane and look at Yuletide advertising and topics of the day from 50, 60, 70 and 80 years ago. This post will be followed by selected pages from LIFE from Christmas 1956, 1946 and finally 1936.
It was unusual to find "house ads" in LIFE
1966 fashions
Yet more Middle East conflict,
less than six-months out from the Six-Day War. 
Colour TV, nine years before it was fully implemented in Australia.
Admiral forced Jack Tramiel to use 'Commodore' for his typewriters.
I have no idea what this gadget did, but it looks very impressive.
Cars were actually getting much smaller. This Ford ad line reminds one of the colour-driven mid-1920s Royal portable typewriter advertising campaign.
Remember cap guns? Or in this case capless.
Oh what fun we had with Polaroid cameras. Trouble is, the images didn't last so well.
'Flameless' clothes dryers and $200 dishwashers:
Next: 1956

1 comment:

Bill M said...

Your post brings back fond memories of my childhood. The phone is an old data phone. A fore runner of the acoustic modem. They were very rudimentary data transfer terminals if I recall. I had a friend that worked for Ma Bell and another friend that worked for AT&T and I had some of those to experiment with to learn electronics. Of course I never had a computer or any way to use them so they supplied parts for other projects.

I look forward to the next 3 parts.